cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: PG CITEXT Data Type
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 19:06:05 GMT
I just did a quick test on Cayenne 3.1 and PG 9.1. And all I had to do is to map the DbAttribute
type as OTHER instead of VARCHAR and map ObjAttribute as java.lang.String. This did it.

So after all PG's turned out to be one of the few drivers that actually handles type "OTHER"
correctly, and there's no need for hacks and fancy workarounds.

HTH,
Andrus

On Nov 1, 2012, at 11:03 PM, Garth Keesler <garthk@gdcjk.com> wrote:

> I ran a couple of tests where the column is CITEXT and is indexed. The actual value in
the database is "TTI" and the row was found when the parameter was "TTI" but not "tti". Is
there anything special I need to do in preparing the SelectQuery?

> Here is the (so far) complete Main pretty much straight out of the tutorial:
>
>        ServerRuntime cayenneRuntime = new ServerRuntime("cayenne-project.xml");
>        ObjectContext context = cayenneRuntime.getContext();
>        Expression qual = Expression
>                .fromString("shortvn = $svn");
>        SelectQuery proto = new SelectQuery(Vendors.class, qual);
>        proto.setDistinct(true);
>        Map params1 = new HashMap();
>        params1.put("svn", "TTI");
>        SelectQuery query1 = proto.queryWithParameters(params1);
>        List performQuery = context.performQuery(query1);
>        List<Vendors> vendors1 = performQuery;
>        System.out.println("Vendors = " + vendors1.size());
>
> vendors1.size is 1 when the param is uppercase, 0 when lower.
>
> Thanx,
> Garth
>

> On 10/30/2012 12:56 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>> all of the "special" PG data types like CITEXT are listed as "Other". I assume
I should select something other than that, right?
>> Yeah.. And I guess we may need to add CITEXT to Cayenne PG adapter so that it is
reverse engineered as VARCHAR or CLOB or something.

>> On Oct 30, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Garth Keesler <garthk@gdcjk.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Using 3.1B1. But your second question made me look in Modeler and all of the
"special" PG data types like CITEXT are listed as "Other". I assume I should select something
other than that, right? I'll give it a try and see what happens.

>>> Thanx...

persistent classes have errors whenever one of the CITEXT attributes is mentioned. Following
is a sample of the code which is causing errors.

{

docs, it looks like exactly what you need.

for me on MySQL with similar DB-side settings). On the other hand if you are using in-memory
filtering with expressions it won't work, as in-memory comparisons are simple Java "equal".

in-memory and in DB (regardless of DB-side case sensitivity), as the name implies.

(my first and mostly for the fun of it) and am trying to figure out how to best match the
case insensitive string usage that is in SQL Server. I created the PG database using CITEXT
only where actually necessary but it doesn't seem to be recognized in Cayenne. It appears
that I need to replace all CITEXT columns with TEXT and handle case insensitive comparisons
manually. I've found a couple of threads that mention this but none had any real advice on
how best to do it in a Cayenne environment. Lower() is frequently mentioned as the usual approach
but before I go down that path too far I'd appreciate a little feedback from more experienced
Cayenne users.