cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Splitting model
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:47:21 GMT

> I am a big fan of making everything as modular as possible,

me too :)

> and this configuration helps, but what I think it would be perfect is being able to put
the diferent model files in diferent modules and just orchestrate DB nodes and model composition
in the project file, like a maven project.
> I understand that there is nothing like that currently on 3.1 but I wanted to know if
any of you had experience of something like that.

Actually I think you can do that in 3.1. There many possible scenarios. One would be a bunch
of modules containing mapping-only projects, and then each "leaf" module in the dependency
tree (e.g. a webapp project) would include them all when starting its ServerRuntime, and then
configure a default DataNode (per CAY-1679 this is possible in 3.1 - dataDomain.setDefaultNode(..)).

So I think a combination of DataNode-agnostic mapping projects and Java-based stack assembly
(that is made easy in 3.1) should give us ultimate mapping modularity. If there are scenarios
not well covered by this, let's discuss.

Andrus

On Oct 24, 2012, at 2:19 PM, Ramiro Aparicio <ramiro.aparicio@prot-on.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After upgrading to 3.1 it is now more evident that you can split the data model and data
nodes as it is needed so the model can span several DBs or several models can be in the same
DB.
> I am a big fan of making everything as modular as possible, and this configuration helps,
but what I think it would be perfect is being able to put the diferent model files in diferent
modules and just orchestrate DB nodes and model composition in the project file, like a maven
project.
> I understand that there is nothing like that currently on 3.1 but I wanted to know if
any of you had experience of something like that.
> Indeed I am not sure if it can be done as probably path to other modules models will
not be the same when developing or at runtime, but I think it will be a very interesting feature
for big projects.