cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Ramiro Aparicio <ramiro.apari...@prot-on.com>
Subject Re: Splitting model
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:58:06 GMT
Umm I thougth a ServerRuntime could load only one configuration file,
can you point me how can I load several?

If thats possible even if the configuration must be done in a Java class
(I would prefer XML but it is better that nothing) the only failing
point is relationship between models of diferent modules, if they are
1-N  it can be easily handled but N-1 or M-N are not that easy (first
term is submodule model entity).

Currently I am starting a new project very simple with low entity count
so I will try this kind of setting as it makes a lot more sense to me.

Ramiro

El 24/10/2012 13:47, Andrus Adamchik escribió:
>> I am a big fan of making everything as modular as possible,
> me too :)
>
>> and this configuration helps, but what I think it would be perfect is being able
to put the diferent model files in diferent modules and just orchestrate DB nodes and model
composition in the project file, like a maven project.
>> I understand that there is nothing like that currently on 3.1 but I wanted to know
if any of you had experience of something like that.
> Actually I think you can do that in 3.1. There many possible scenarios. One would be
a bunch of modules containing mapping-only projects, and then each "leaf" module in the dependency
tree (e.g. a webapp project) would include them all when starting its ServerRuntime, and then
configure a default DataNode (per CAY-1679 this is possible in 3.1 - dataDomain.setDefaultNode(..)).

> So I think a combination of DataNode-agnostic mapping projects and Java-based stack assembly
(that is made easy in 3.1) should give us ultimate mapping modularity. If there are scenarios
not well covered by this, let's discuss.

> Andrus
>

> On Oct 24, 2012, at 2:19 PM, Ramiro Aparicio <ramiro.aparicio@prot-on.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After upgrading to 3.1 it is now more evident that you can split the data model and
data nodes as it is needed so the model can span several DBs or several models can be in the
same DB.
>> I am a big fan of making everything as modular as possible, and this configuration
helps, but what I think it would be perfect is being able to put the diferent model files
in diferent modules and just orchestrate DB nodes and model composition in the project file,
like a maven project.
>> I understand that there is nothing like that currently on 3.1 but I wanted to know
if any of you had experience of something like that.
>> Indeed I am not sure if it can be done as probably path to other modules models will
not be the same when developing or at runtime, but I think it will be a very interesting feature
for big projects.