cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Insert Meaningful Primary Key
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 12:09:24 GMT
On 11/09/12 9:22pm, Felipe Martín Santos wrote:

> *DataObject city = context.createAndRegisterNewObject("City");
> city.writeProperty("cdCity", new Integer("11"));

You are better just writing:

city = context.newObject(City.class);
city.setcdCity(11);

>          <db-attribute name="CD_CITY" type="NUMERIC" isPrimaryKey="true"
> isMandatory="true" length="2"/>

Length 2?

> Is recommended using Meaningful Primary Key?

It is almost never a good idea to use a meaningful primary key. Other than when you need to
refactor an existing badly written database and you are stuck with it, I can think of no valid
reason to do so. Just let Cayenne handle it for you.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis