cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Multiple application using same database, cache issue
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 14:42:17 GMT
Hi there,

So per http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/caching-and-fresh-data.html we have object cache and
query cache. We are planning to align the two at some point with common config and management
facilities. As of now object-level cache is not "managed". So you can't expire things from
it, only refresh explicitly.

However there's query cache that can be fully managed, and maybe that's what you want. So
whenever you need a group of objects, you just run a query with a certain cache group and
cache policy. Depending in the cache configuration, it will either be immediately returned
from cache, or refetched. And a refetch would update the object cache as a side effect. Personally
with query cache I barely ever look back at the object cache.

Andrus