cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Malcolm Edgar <malcolm.ed...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NuoDB Cayenne Adaptor
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:01:39 GMT
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

In terms of my interest, I have no relationship with NuoDB at all.

The company I work for Avoka Technologies provide a forms hosting platform
for large government and corporates.  We use/love Cayenne and support
Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL databases.  Generally Oracle and SQL Server are
used for on-premise installations and we use MySQL for a cloud offering
(Amazon RDS).

For us we have no performance problems with relational databases. By using
Cayenne caching intelligently we can handle very high loads.  However when
it comes to providing a High Availability solution across multiple data
centers things become much harder.

The database vendors have different approaches to this problem, but
generally use a primary active database in data center 1 and a standby
database in data center 2.  Microsoft provides a new capability to support
this in SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn, for MySQL there is Continuent, for Oracle
there is RAC with Data Guard.

All these HA approaches are inherently complex to setup and administer.

NuoDB offers fresh approach at this problem. The video below gives a good
overview:

http://vimeo.com/33785505

I looked at early beta's of NuoDB about 8 months ago, and it was too
unstable at this point. Whether NuoDB becomes a viable player in the market
is open to question. Building SQL databases is hard, but they do have
people like Jim Starkey on board and some serious Venture Captial backing

I don't think adding NuoDB support to Cayenne would be trivial, as they
have their own DDL and SQL dialect as does every database vendor. I wished
they had a MySQL emulation mode.

Again I have no direct commercial interest in this, and would look at
contributing/developing this code in the Cayenne project if people were
interested.

regards Malcolm Edgar