cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: NuoDB Cayenne Adaptor
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:15:46 GMT
On 14/08/12 11:32pm, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> On 14/08/12 10:00pm, Malcolm Edgar wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am interested in developing a Cayenne Adaptor for the NuoDB database
>> https://www.nuodb.com/
>>
>> Its a very interesting database technology for developing scale out / high
>> availability solutions. The stuff that relational databases struggle with.
>>
>> Presumably to get started I would need to create a NuoDBAdaptor extending *
>> org.apache.cayenne.dba.JdbcAdapter*.  Is this the best place to start, does
>> anyone have any recommendations, or would like to be involved ?
>>
>> regards Malcolm Edgar
>

> Interesting. Their website is full of marketing speak, but very light on what makes this
database so "revolutionary". What is that attracts you to it over the choice of existing open
source databases?

> If it supports the basic SQL specification, there is probably very little code to implement
in the Cayenne dba package.

> Ari

Just to be clear Malcolm, I'm not being critical of your effort at all. The more databases
Cayenne supports the better. But I've never come across Nuo before and I'm curious about what
it offers. Certainly mysql's master/master clustering capabilities leave a bit to be desired,
but as a basic SQL/storage engine I wonder how easy it would be for anyone to surpass postgresql/mysql
after all the years of bug fixing and tuning.

I've not been able to Google any benchmarks or other third party reviews. The best I found
was this:

    http://sqlandsiva.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/nuodb-acid-compliant-scalable-cloud_02.html

which suggests that about 90% of the SQL standard is implemented. I guess the real question
is which 90%?

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis