cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joseph Senecal <sene...@apple.com>
Subject Re: Generated primary keys are being truncated
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:18:50 GMT
The type in the PK column is NUMERIC with a size of 15 digits. This reflects what is in the
Oracle database. But since NUMERIC isn't BIGINT, the key is being truncated to Integer. Is
that expected behavior or have I found a bug?

This is no longer an urgent issue. I was already overriding OraclePkGenerator, I simple changed
the code to always return a LONG (all of our primary keys are NUMERIC and at least 10 digits).

Joe

On Jul 20, 2012, at 6:16 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

>> How do I specify a primary key type to be BIGINT?
>

> This is exactly what you need to do - in the Modeler change the PK column type of DbEntity
to BIGINT from INT.

> Andrus
>

> On Jul 20, 2012, at 3:19 AM, Joseph Senecal wrote:
>
>> We're using Oracle and sequences, not an AUTO_PK table to generate the keys. I've
added logging into the custom code that pulls sequences, and the values are right at that
point. But when I look at the code that calls that, I find right after the call:
>>       if (pk.getType() == Types.BIGINT) {
>>           return Long.valueOf(value);
>>       }
>>       else {
>>           // leaving it up to the user to ensure that PK does not exceed max int...
>>           return Integer.valueOf((int) value);
>>       }
>>
>> How do I specify a primary key type to be BIGINT? Would anything break if I changed
my copy of this code to always return a Long instead of an Integer?

>> Joe
>>
>> On Jul 19, 2012, at 5:15 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>>
>>> Look at the columns widths of the AUTO_PK table?
>>>
>>> Ari

primary keys being generated are being truncated to fit an int.

the return value of LongPkRange.getNextPrimaryKey.

Something is stripping off the high order bits of the primary keys.

the database, but it isn't defined as an attribute at all, so I can't specify the Java class
to use for it.