cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Robert Huber @ 7r" <hu...@seven-r.ch>
Subject Re: Using CayenneModeler as standalone tool
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:55:07 GMT
Hi Andrus

> Yeah, that's the problem with EOModel import support in general... It is very important
to the users who are converting their projects. But since this is usually a one-time deal,
after all conversion is done, nobody cares about it anymore. So the code doesn't get as much
love as other parts of Cayenne. I certainly appreciate you logging all bugs, so that at least
we know what people have to deal with, and see if we can fix some or all of them.

I absolutly agree with you, it is luckily a one-time deal. As you say, at the moment it's
my make or break. I keep tying in the hope, I can get it done some time. Have you any idea
when Cayenne will support descriptions for entities, attributes, relationships etc.? I have
in EOModeler a lot of them (entered in the Docs tab), and, as it's part of the design (description)
I obviously don't like to loose it or reenter all of them manually.

Thanks a lot, Robert

> On Apr 5, 2012, at 9:43 AM, Robert Huber @ 7r wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael
>>
>> I can perfectly understand that EOModel Import is low priority. For us it's the key
part as we have quite a few EOModels, the biggest having more than 130 entities with more
than 200 relationships (and using comments extensively, which are not supported at the moment
in CM, as far as I understand), so we only can make the switch if can get the models over
to CayenneModeler.
>> I copy/paste the DataNode info over to a newly created DataNode, then it works.
>>
>> Thanks, Robert
>>

>> On 04.04.2012, at 18:52, Michael Gentry wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> I can understand the EOModel failing to import, especially since
>>> EOF-import support is a pretty low priority at this point, however you
>>> should be able to add the DataNode in manually.  Did you try exiting
>>> the modeler after the import, running it again, and seeing if you
>>> could add (and save) the DataNode then?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> mrg

file. I import an EOModel and the datanode appears as it does in the Entity Modeler. As soon
as I save the Cayenne project, the datanode is lost. So I created a new datanode and copy/pasted
all driver info to the newly created datanode. Saving the project again lost the datanode
which came into CayenneModeler by importing the EOModel, but at least I had the info in the
internally created datanode.

there is a bug in the trunk build of the Modeler :)

(via splash screen) again. How can I get my DataNode as well when opening the project?

eclipse plugin version is relatively new.

you were editing. Clicking one should open it.

can be used sensibly as a standalone application? As described in the docu, if I save a project,
I get the 2 files cayenne-<project-name>.xml and<project-name.map.xml.
state I left when I saved the project in CayenneModeler? So I am not sure if it is supported
to just use CayenneModeler or if CayenneModeler has always to be used from within Eclipse?