cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Dave Lamy <davel...@gmail.com>
Subject Vertical inheritance - subclass associations
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2012 20:53:27 GMT
Hey guys--

I'm trying to grok the vertical inheritance method and have a
question/concern:

I tried modeling a couple of tables using the vertical method.  I have 3
tables now:

ASSET
ASSET_MASTER
ASSET_VERSION

I created everything according to the docs.. Set up properties and
relationships at the appropriate table level, created 3 ObjEntities, and
used flattened relationships on the subclasses to access subclass
properties.

Properties work great.  The problem is associations, especially to-many
associations.  If I have a to-many association on a child entity, I set up
its DbRelationship on the child table, and use a flattened relationship to
access it.  But then the modeler claims that my relationship is read-only
(presumably because i'm going across a flattened relationship).

Is it really read-only?  Am I doing something wrong?  The example docs only
show properties at the subclass so it doesn't address this situation.
 Don't see how I could make vertical inheritance work if I can't manage
to-many assocs at the subclass level.

Thanks for the help--
Dave