cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Using CayenneModeler as standalone tool
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:50:11 GMT
Hi Robert,

As I am sure you've seen from earlier discussion, the "descriptions" feature is somewhat separate
from EOModel import. (i.e. as long as Cayenne doesn't support it, all we can do is to ignore
this extra data when importing EOModel). As Ari mentioned, we even have a pretty old Jira
for it - CAY-400, and a patch of unknown quality.

I am a bit torn on this one. On the one hand I don't have much use for this feature myself,
and over the years could not motivate myself to do any work on it. On the other it is clearly
a popular issue. So all I can say that for it to happen, somebody must champion it. And of
course that "somebody" doesn't have to be a current Cayenne committer, just willing to work
with other committers on defining the design and implementation.

The current patch attached to CAY-400 will require serious cleanup, straightening the naming,
etc. Once we figure out the basic terms around DataMap, then we can add Modeler support, EOModel
migration, etc. IMO this is not a complicated project, but requiring attention to details.

And another consideration is that we are on the verge of freezing Cayenne 3.1 code for Beta.
But that of course should not stop the development of new features on trunk (what will become
3.2 at some point).

Anyways, these are my thoughts... If you or anybody else is willing to collaborate on this
feature, lets switch to dev list and continue the discussion.

Cheers,
Andrus

On Apr 10, 2012, at 10:55 AM, Robert Huber @ 7r wrote:
> Hi Andrus
>
>> Yeah, that's the problem with EOModel import support in general... It is very important
to the users who are converting their projects. But since this is usually a one-time deal,
after all conversion is done, nobody cares about it anymore. So the code doesn't get as much
love as other parts of Cayenne. I certainly appreciate you logging all bugs, so that at least
we know what people have to deal with, and see if we can fix some or all of them.

> I absolutly agree with you, it is luckily a one-time deal. As you say, at the moment
it's my make or break. I keep tying in the hope, I can get it done some time. Have you any
idea when Cayenne will support descriptions for entities, attributes, relationships etc.?
I have in EOModeler a lot of them (entered in the Docs tab), and, as it's part of the design
(description) I obviously don't like to loose it or reenter all of them manually.