cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Memory Usage Problem with Tomcat
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2012 21:54:53 GMT
Ari,

No I am not using parallel deployment (although it does sound like an interesting feature
of Tomcat).  In fact, my methodology, is to simplify the app, config, and lib count so that
I can reproduce the problem at its most essential.

I have been eliminating library after library and the leak still appears to persist.  I am
waiting to hear back as to whether I have made some sort of bad assumption in devising my
test.

But the short answer to your question, is that I am basically using tomcat 7 with the standard
default configurations.  I still have not been able to determine if this includes leak protection
(that was added to tomcat 7).  If it does then this problem is even more perplexing.

Joe

On Mar 17, 2012, at 6:30 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> Are you using the Tomcat7 parallel deployment mechanism? I am finding some unusual behaviour
there with the older applications not being properly stopped.

> Ari
>

> On 17/03/12 11:25 AM, Joe Baldwin wrote:
>> Andrus,
>>
>> I just performed an interesting test.
>>
>> 1. installed my web app into the tomcat 7 webapps dir
>> 2. however, this time, I deleted my app's jar file (that contains all of my Cayenne
Persistence Objects created by the modeler)
>> 2. started tomcat 7
>> 3. the visualvm snapshot showed the nominal 5 Cayenne EventManagers
>> 4. I then undeployed the webapp with Tomcat 7 Manager
>> 5. I then took a new visualvm snapshot that showed the same 5 Cayenne EventManagers
>>
>> I have 0 files in the WEB-INF/classes dir.  The only other classes would be the JSP's
- and I believe that I deleted the entire cache correctly before I started Tomcat7.  So I
am *fairly* sure I have eliminated my code - well unless I am wrong abut how tomcat handles
the JSP's.

>> This looks very odd to me.  I do have quite a few libraries that are in my WEB-INF/lib
dir.  I wonder if there is some sort of interaction.

>> Please let me know if you have ideas for better tests.  (I think I am going to try
to eliminate all of my jsp's and then the other apache libs.

>> Joe

Thread?  Should there be 5 of them normally or should there only be one.

>>> 5 dispatch threads is the default. So this is correct and means that you only
have 1 Cayenne stack and 1 EventManager in the app.