cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Memory Usage Problem with Tomcat
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:24:08 GMT
I do not want this to degrade into a "my debugger" vs "your debugger" debate, since I have
about 4 high priority items to solve in the next few days.

I have lots of experience with different languages, including C, C++, Objective-C, Java, JSP,
Javascript, jQuery, on Sun, Silicon Graphics, Windoz, OSX, Linux.  I have used everything
from visual debuggers to command line debuggers.  In a project like the one I am working on,
with many different languages sitting on top of each other, and with browsers causing their
on brand of problems, I have made a very considered decisions that "less is better" when trying
to debug problems that may be due to everything from a single library to a combination of
competing technologies.

If I were making the kinds of decisions that the Cayenne team is making, I would not hesitate
to use Eclipse.  However, I find it top-heavy and clumsy for the multi-level development I
am doing (right up to the point someone has tested something like VisualVM that makes my life
easier).

I have done a *lot* of black box testing and debuggers are a useful tool for a certain class
of problem.  However, for other classes of problems they create a "you can't see the forest
for the trees" phenomenon.

I will give a couple of debuggers a shot, but my intuition tells me that this is a simple
configuration issue at some level.