cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Memory Usage Problem with Tomcat
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:19:01 GMT
If you have almost no activity, why not set up a duplicate environment
running the same version of Tomcat and hit your application  using
JMeter or some other testing tool?

Or perhaps you can get sent the application http access.log file and
duplicate the exact series of requests that generated the problem in
your dev environment.

That said, Tomcat did often seem to have intrinsic memory issues,
which is another reason I stopped using a few years back.

Also, you might want to ask what the exact stacktrace is.   We've had
situations where it was a Tomcat permgen memory issue.   See this
article for details -- there are more details in the comments by
others:

http://www.mkyong.com/tomcat/tomcat-javalangoutofmemoryerror-permgen-space/

Again, a disclaimer as I haven't used Tomcat personally in a while,
although some of my colleagues continue to do so for development.  And
we don't run app servers using it.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
> OK, I think that I may have run into this before.  The ultimate "solution" was to increase
memory - however, I am concerned that may have been a quick-fix and not a long-term fix.

> The problem is out of memory errors associated with tomcat heap.
>
> I have a webapp (powered primarily by cayenne).  The database has *very* little in it.
 I am essentially serving data (via cayenne & tomcat) and images (via tomcat).

> I have a private tomcat instance running on a webhost in a "shared" environment.  What
this means is that I *absolutely* cannot attach a profiler.

> I am being told by the webhost IT people (who are not always accurate in their objectivity)
that my app is leaking memory (badly), and that is what caused tomcat to crash.

> My intuition tells me that with almost no activity on the website (because it is not
live yet) and Cayenne memory management that I should be able to manage memory well, but it
is not the case.

> So, if my goal is to determine what the problem is, and if I simply increase heap size,
won't I just be masking a potential problem?  i.e. if the app runs fine for a while, then
mysteriously causes tomcat to run out of heap space, then couldn't there be a memory leak?

> If there is a memory leak, and I don't see it on my development server, and I *can't*
use a profiler on my webhost, then how do I get visibility into the memory usage?