cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: lazy loading (slightly OT)
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:20:13 GMT
Hi Joachim, et al,

If you need to prefetch some relationships to improve performance, it
is usually pretty simple to add a prefetch to your query.  Here is the
documentation page if you are curious:

http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/prefetching.html

mrg

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Durchholz, Joachim
<Joachim.Durchholz@hennig-fahrzeugteile.de> wrote:
>> I think what Michael was saying was, that the answer is that 'lazy loading
>> of data object relationship data is supported and is the default mechanism'.
>
> That's what I read, too.
>
>> (In fact this is one of the main strengths of Cayenne in my opinion)
>
> On a tangent, I don't think this can be advertised as a special strength of Cayenne.
> Think about it: Any ORM that does not do by-default lazy association loading will quickly
find itself loading the entire database. If it wasn't built into the ORM right from the beginning,
the ORM is essentially useless and will either die or get that feature added ASAP.