cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Memory Usage Problem with Tomcat
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:20:41 GMT
Andrus,

Mark Thomas, explains that "rule of thumb" if you see multiple reloads (which is what I do
on my dev server) result in out of memory error, then the problem is *probably* but not always
a memory leaks.  I have seen this on my dev server.  So I might actually have a memory leak
somewhere.

The second thing I found is that he is using a combo of jmeter & visualvm (which is what
I coincidentally downloaded earlier today).

I have not gotten through the video, but if I can simulate the outofmemory behavior on my
server, then the next thing I presume is finding out where it is coming from.  Have not seen
enough of the video to figure this out though. :)

I might be able to crack this yet.

Joe

On Mar 13, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2012, at 4:03 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
>
>> 2) Modern app servers restart and redeploy applications without
>> restarting the app server.     Thus, the memory leak might be from a
>> previous application instance or application deployment.   I think
>> someone reported a possible Cayenne issue for that recently.
>
> I keep recommending to people this presentation by Mark Thomas from Tomcat project:
>
> Video with slides: http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Diagnosing-Memory-Leaks
> Slides in PDF: people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2010-11-04-Memory-Leaks-60mins.pdf
>
> Even if you are not using Tomcat, but curious what happens to your memory, I still recommend
it :) It is applicable to any Java app server and was an eye opener to me back in the day.