cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Memory Usage Problem with Tomcat
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:59:21 GMT
OK, I think that I may have run into this before.  The ultimate "solution" was to increase
memory - however, I am concerned that may have been a quick-fix and not a long-term fix.

The problem is out of memory errors associated with tomcat heap.

I have a webapp (powered primarily by cayenne).  The database has *very* little in it.  I
am essentially serving data (via cayenne & tomcat) and images (via tomcat).

I have a private tomcat instance running on a webhost in a "shared" environment.  What this
means is that I *absolutely* cannot attach a profiler.

I am being told by the webhost IT people (who are not always accurate in their objectivity)
that my app is leaking memory (badly), and that is what caused tomcat to crash.

My intuition tells me that with almost no activity on the website (because it is not live
yet) and Cayenne memory management that I should be able to manage memory well, but it is
not the case.

So, if my goal is to determine what the problem is, and if I simply increase heap size, won't
I just be masking a potential problem?  i.e. if the app runs fine for a while, then mysteriously
causes tomcat to run out of heap space, then couldn't there be a memory leak?

If there is a memory leak, and I don't see it on my development server, and I *can't* use
a profiler on my webhost, then how do I get visibility into the memory usage?

Thanks
Joe