cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Schönfisch, Jörg <joerg.schoenfi...@softplant.de>
Subject Why are most flattened relationships read-only?
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:40:08 GMT
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to create a model which uses multiple levels of inheritance. Because of this, I
use many (flattened) 1:n-relationships between tables and subtables. Unfortunately, this results
in read-only relationships on deeper levels of the hierarchy.
Is there any possibility to establish such a read-only relationship with Cayenne? Otherwise
the model is practically unusable as I have no existing data and solely want to create it
through the ORM.
I wonder if there is any practical reason why flattened relationships are read-only? Or is
only the implementation to handle these lacking? Technically it should be possible to make
them writable, at least if the flattened relationship spans only foreign key constraints.

Regards,

Joerg