cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: lazy loading (slightly OT but still pretty important)
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:40:11 GMT
About this comment:

On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:56 AM, Durchholz, Joachim wrote:

> Cayenne doesn't care about staleness. It's the application's task to ensure that Pojo
networks are updated to the current DB state at the beginning of an application-side transaction.
If data isn't available yet, just load it - and accept the risk that the application may now
be working with partly stale, partly current data.

Are you sure that this is correct?  (Note: I have a lot on my plate and cannot re-do some
of my tests).  I have a rather substantial webapp, in which I have modified database data
via both Cayenne and directly via a DBMS Client (bypassing Cayenne).  And in the critical
data, Cayenne is able to present the DBClient modified data immediately.  (I have another
table in which this does not happen, but I think I designed it that way, and will have to
get back to you on this).

For the most part, I have seen that the *default* Cayenne behavior handles the "stale" issue
pretty well.  (This is, if changing data directly in the database, and then having Cayenne
immediately display it via a webpage is an appropriate black-box test)

I have seen some oddness with deleting objects via Cayenne, but I presumed that was due to
me missing some refresh step

But if you have a different test, please let me know, because this is important to my project.
Joe