cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: lazy loading (slightly OT)
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:19:46 GMT
on the "aside":

the last time we discussed this, it appears that Hibernate *implements* the rules differently
(and very poorly in my humble opinion), and *so* differently that I would argue that they
don't support it vey well.  The methodologies behind the Cayenne relationship handling are
quite advanced and as "idiot proof" as Java GC.

On Mar 28, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Durchholz, Joachim wrote:

>> I think what Michael was saying was, that the answer is that 'lazy loading
>> of data object relationship data is supported and is the default mechanism'.
>
> That's what I read, too.
>
>> (In fact this is one of the main strengths of Cayenne in my opinion)
>
> On a tangent, I don't think this can be advertised as a special strength of Cayenne.
> Think about it: Any ORM that does not do by-default lazy association loading will quickly
find itself loading the entire database. If it wasn't built into the ORM right from the beginning,
the ORM is essentially useless and will either die or get that feature added ASAP.