cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Fwd: Non-blocking DataRowStore - need help to test
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:04:10 GMT
FYI.

Figured I'd expand the scope of this pre-announcement to find some volunteers to test the
new code. If anyone wants to do it, but can't build Cayenne trunk for some reason ( http://cayenne.apache.org/building-cayenne.html
), let me know. I'll assemble the binaries.

Thanks,
Andrus

Begin forwarded message:
> From: Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>
> Date: February 22, 2012 9:54:41 PM GMT+03:00
> To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
> Subject: Non-blocking DataRowStore - need help to test
>
> Here is a potentially disruptive change to Cayenne core:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1292437
> (also see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1670 )
>
> This removes the major global lock and has a potential to significantly increase throughput
(which is an issue, see CAY-1124 by Tore for instance). The implementation is based on a previously
untried by us data structure - ConcurrentLinkedHashMap - http://code.google.com/p/concurrentlinkedhashmap/
. It is used by Apache Cassandra, so presumably it works and can handle the load. I internalized
this code, placing it under org.apache.cayenne.util.concurrentlinkedhashmap.

> I need help with testing though... Maybe someone has any kind of load tests that can
emulate multiple DataContexts attached to a single ServerRuntime and performing various select/modify
operations? Or maybe you are daring enough to place this in production? I will do the same
on my end.

> To give some reassurance, our single-threaded unit tests pass 100% with no changes after
I swapped commons-collections LRUMap to ConcurrentLinkedHashMap.