cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Some more concrete questions about Cayenne
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:07:42 GMT
On 20/01/12 8:21 PM, Erlend Birkenes wrote:
> 2012/1/20 Aristedes Maniatis<ari@maniatis.org>
>
>> Not perfect, but this helps...
>>
>> http://cayenne.apache.org/**schema/3.0/indexList.html<http://cayenne.apache.org/schema/3.0/indexList.html>
>>
>> Happy to accept any help with getting better docs into the schema XSD.
>>

> Thanks, I knew about that and it was very useful. It's not always obvious
> what the various tags are for, so it could use more descriptions. I
> generally had to do things in the Modeler and look at the resulting XML to
> figure out how to do things correctly. I have checked out the source, so
> I'll see if I can write some docs when I have some time.

Great. I think it would be terrifically useful to extract docs from javadocs and anywhere
else we can, to insert into the XSD file. Then I can regenerate the docs and we'll get much
more informative web pages.

> One of the things I wondered about: what is the point of the
> attribute-override? I see the Modeler uses it for flattened attributes, so
> I do too, but the obj-attribute seems to already say the exact same thing
> so I don't see the point.

I am not sure. I generated the html docs and the XSD, but I didn't always understand some
of the more obscure bits. Andrus will know.

> Your link is broken btw, it just shows the index and not the content. This
> is the correct URL:
>
> http://cayenne.apache.org/schema/3.0/modelMap.html

Yes, that's better.

It is also worth noting that Cayenne modeler isn't validating its output or input against
the schema right now. We didn't want to enable that and break XML files which work, but which
did not meet the schema exactly (for example, XSD is very particular about the order of attributes).

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis