cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Tomas Stenlund <tomas.stenl...@telia.com>
Subject Re: Some more concrete questions about Cayenne
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 06:36:42 GMT
On 01/18/2012 04:33 PM, Durchholz, Joachim wrote:

Well I just do that, answer a few of the questions:

> 2) How would one assign a "field type" with a field in a Cayenne Pojo?
>
> With "field type", I mean things like
> 123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012
> - Associating textual representation with field contents, such as
> -- shorthands in the database table, Java enums internally,
>     longer texts on display
> -- or maybe shorthands in the database table, Java Strings internally,
>     longer texts on display
> - What Swing controls to use for displaying this data
>    ("Renderer" in Swing terminology)
> - What Swing controls to use for editing this data
>    ("Editor" in Swing terminology)
> - Validation info: valid ranges; probably a Java interface with
>    implementations that may or may not use RDBMS length/precision info
> - Possibly association with more than one field
>    (date/time in two fields but merged into one Java property)
>    (or still two Java properties, but validation etc. spans all of them)
>
> I see various possible approaches:
>
> 2a) The traditional Cayenne approach. Make the entity class a superclass, the business
class a subclass. Entity class properties would have private members and protected getters/setters,
the business class would then use a FieldType object to delegate public getters/setters to
the protected getters/setters. (FieldType objects would be static and accept entity objects
as parameters, so memory bloat isn't an issue. I'm using a similar construction in my current
Hibernate infrastructure.)
> I'm a bit worried about the amount of boilerplate needed in the business class. In particular
for the trivial cases where the DB field is simply handed through to the business logic (e.g.
address fields where the end user should be able to put in pretty anything they choose as
long as it fits the database field).

> 2b) Use delegation instead of subclassing. The issues are essentially the same, except
the getters/setters of the entity class wouldn't have to be package-private or public instead
of protected.
> Are there other issues that I should be aware of?
>
> 2c) Since I'm not too dependent on Modeler, I might merge entity and business class.
> I'm not sure that such a merge has any advantages; does anybody have seen this tried?
Stories of failure and success equally interesting here.
> I have to admit I don't expect success, merging abstractions usually doesn't work well
in the long term; losing the option to use Modeler's code generation later when we're more
confident in it is a strong point agains that route, too. Still, I'd like to know how much
water this assessment holds.

> 2d) Anything I haven't thought of. Different ways to use Java reflection, a Modeler option
I'm not aware of that does all these things out of the box, whatever.
I have developed an application for cross country skiing competitions,
time keeping, handling skiers, result service and so on using Cayenne.
What I have discovered when it comes to UI I just stuck with the
generated Entity class and added new getters/setters to fit my GUI
whenever needed. Now in retrospect it looks somewhat ugly because my GUI
layout now "pollutes" the Entity class. Either way it works, it is fast
and works great with Cayenne instead of maybe going with a nicer design
with inheritance one additional level as suggested in 2a (actually the
cayenne getters/setters would be visible as well). It gives me both
benefits and drawbacks. It is not my proudest design, but then again I
does the job and I learned to use Cayenne and the GUI-frameowork at the
same time.

Now something completely different, 2d.

For the GUI part, I'n not using Swing. I use Apache Pivot which I think
works great with Cayenne. It binds the controls to the getters/settes
directly into a Pojo (e.g. the cayenne entity object) and also have
support for datamapping, which allows you to move the data conversion
from the cayenne entity more towards the GUI instead (which I would like
to have it, instead of in the entities). Your "own" GUI-code is minimal
in each dialog/window. I think this is a quite a nice approach that you
could look at. But then again, this is GUI and not Cayenne.

Cheers,

Tomas