cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joseph Senecal <sene...@apple.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne comparison to EOF / WebObjects
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 19:19:36 GMT
Thanks for the detailed comparison!

The one error I saw was: Embeddable relationships (related objects stored in same table as
the source)

Many times I've done a Master->Detail relationship in EOF where both the Master and the
Detail are the same table (and the same Class). I didn't have to do anything special to implement
this.

As for which has better Entity Templates, I don't know. But I do know that the ProjectWonder
templates allow me to generate the plural version of a class name where the Cayenne template
does not. I discovered this when I tried to generate method names along the lines of "fetchTests"
for class Test (to hide the casting to List<Test>). I had to settle for "fetchTestList"
instead.

Joe

On Dec 6, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> Thanks, John,
>
> I think that's really helpful.
>
> At some point I might convert an old WebObjects project to Cayenne.
>
> A few things that might need attention:
>
> Raw Rows: I haven't tried it, but if you provide prefetching
> information for a Cayenne query, wouldn't the raw rows also include
> that prefetched data?
>
> Inheritance: I don't think Cayenne's support for vertical inheritance
> is complete.  I think we were still lacking in a few places the last
> time I looked (summer of 2011), such as query support.
>
> Entity Templates: I suspect the templating support in Cayenne is
> better, although it's been a long time since I worked with EOF
> templating.   Cayenne has the ability to throw an arbitrary helper
> class into the template namespace using vppconfig.   I don't remember
> how I dealt with such things back in EOF, but I recall I had to use
> some 3rd party EOreporter/generator tool.
>
>> Optional Editing Context Synchronization 	  	X 	EOF automatically synchronizes editing
contexts which can hide Optimistic Locking problems.