cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne comparison to EOF / WebObjects
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 18:45:57 GMT
Thanks, John,

I think that's really helpful.

At some point I might convert an old WebObjects project to Cayenne.

A few things that might need attention:

Raw Rows: I haven't tried it, but if you provide prefetching
information for a Cayenne query, wouldn't the raw rows also include
that prefetched data?

Inheritance: I don't think Cayenne's support for vertical inheritance
is complete.  I think we were still lacking in a few places the last
time I looked (summer of 2011), such as query support.

Entity Templates: I suspect the templating support in Cayenne is
better, although it's been a long time since I worked with EOF
templating.   Cayenne has the ability to throw an arbitrary helper
class into the template namespace using vppconfig.   I don't remember
how I dealt with such things back in EOF, but I recall I had to use
some 3rd party EOreporter/generator tool.

> Optional Editing Context Synchronization 	  	X 	EOF automatically synchronizes editing
contexts which can hide Optimistic Locking problems.

You can do the same thing in Cayenne by implementing your own EventBridge.

Incredible Community and Conferences:

I understand this is subjective.   But even though there was one or
two power-EOF users back in the day who might be able to help with
hard problems, I found the help on Cayenne over the years to be far
superior, provided you were willing to take the initiative and do that
necessary work.   Andrus helped me to get an OpenBase JDBC driver
working.  He helped me get outer join support and pseudo-vertical
inheritance support in there.  Or help writing field-level auditing.
Or create a local event bridge to control data context
synchronization.