cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin Meyer - KMZ" <ke...@kmz.co.za>
Subject Is it possible/easy to integrate cayenne with other frameworks?
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 06:59:35 GMT
Hi all,

Please point me to the previous message if this has already been
addressed.. I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything that looked
directly relevant.

Anyway: I have been maintaining the SQL Objectstore (jdbc) for
Apache Isis (currently in the incubator), and would like to know if
Cayenne can be used completely "in the background", with no user
integration (i.e. no need to run the configuration tool / modeller / etc).

Isis is a complete framework solution for developing and deploying
POJO / domain objects, and provides hooks for persistence tasks.
For example, the metamodel context provide:
	public ObjectInstantiator getObjectInstantiator();
	public ObjectDirtier getObjectDirtier();
	public ObjectPersistor getObjectPersistor();

where, for example:
public interface ObjectInstantiator extends Injectable {
   /**
     * Provided by the <tt>ObjectFactory</tt> when used by framework.
     *
     * <p>
     * Called by {@link ObjectSpecificationDefault}.
     */
    Object instantiate(Class<?> cls) throws
ObjectInstantiationException;
}

Isis requires no annotations, etc, to support persistence, which is
taken care of via introspection. Some hints can be provided to the
objectstore via the "isis.properties" file, if required.

So, I would like to know how difficult would it be to "just" hook Cayenne
into the object "create", "find" and "update" methods of Isis, and let
Cayenne take care of the ORM / persistence?

Taking a quick browse through the examples, I don't see where I
configure the database connection, for example.

Regards,
Kevin