cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Hugi Thordarson <h...@karlmenn.is>
Subject Re: Relationships between datamaps in different projects
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 15:23:28 GMT
Not exactly—rather all EOModels in frameworks referenced by your project are picked up by
Entity Modeler (no matter where the frameworks reside). But it's indeed true that the world
of Frameworks and NSBundle is indeed a lot simpler than the world of Plain Old Classpath :).
Entity Modeler also has the luxury of running within Eclipse and thus has access to the project's
list of referenced frameworks.

A first step towards providing some cross-project functionality in Modeler might be to just
pick up cayenne.xml files in jar-files on the Modeler classpath? (like Cayenne does at runtime)
Or even just add a preference item where you can specify a static list of globally referenced
maps? (that's kind of ugly, though).

It would also be cool if a Cayenne project could reference a pom-file, using the dependencies
declared there for finding DataMaps.

Cheers,
- hugi

On 3.11.2011, at 15:13, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> In the Apple world everything you have is installed in /Library/Frameworks, so it is
always easy to find :-)

> On Nov 3, 2011, at 5:28 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:
>
>> A quick Google gives this API-wise:
>>
>> http://www.spice-of-life.net/wodock/api/com/webobjects/eoaccess/EOModelGroup.html
>>
>> and this UI-wise:
>>
>> http://www.rdbprime.com/Documentation/WebObjects/UsingEOModeler/5WorkingWithRelationships/index.html?http://www.rdbprime.com/Documentation/WebObjects/UsingEOModeler/5WorkingWithRelationships/Forming_Rel_ata_Sources.html
>>
>> mrg
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Michael Gentry <mgentry@masslight.net> wrote:
>>> You'd add to CM a place to look for other other models (either a
>>> classpath approach or explicitly identify the other models).  CM
>>> wouldn't need to edit the other models, but in the relationship
>>> inspector allow referencing the other entities in the model group.  At
>>> least that's a first approach.  I didn't use model groups extensively
>>> and my memory is a bit rusty.  I can try to find more info on them
>>> later if that helps.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> mrg

are supported in runtime (all DataMaps are loaded in a single namespace, so entities can reference
each other freely).

discussion in my company recently, but no solution yet. If there are ideas how that can be
implemented, let's discuss.

permissions etc). The code and cayenne.xml for these entities resides in a standalone project,
works great.
in our client projects to entities in the common project? And if so, do I have to do it in
code, or is there any way for CayenneModeler to pick up the entities in the common project,
so I can model the relationships in the GUI?

had the time to respond yet. Preparing a massive thesis on that one ;-)