cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Durchholz, Joachim" <Joachim.Durchh...@hennig-fahrzeugteile.de>
Subject RE: Cayenne-generated classes need @SuppressWarnings("serial")
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:25:06 GMT
> -- SerialVersionUID seems to matter on the generated subclass,
> especially since this is where all of the state of CayenneDataObject
> exists.  But I can only infer this -- I cannot find a specific
> statement.  [1] [2]

I can ;-)

> [1] http://download.oracle.com/javase/1,5.0/docs/api/java/io/Serializable.html

Last sentence on the page:

"It is also strongly advised that explicit serialVersionUID declarations use the private modifier
where possible, since such declarations apply only to the immediately declaring class--serialVersionUID
fields are not useful as inherited members."

Actually, I slightly disagree with that sentence: a class could build its SerialVersionUID
working off the superclass' SerialVersionUID.
But the serialization mechanism itself does not use superclass SerialVersionUIDs AFAIK.

Regards,
Jo