cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Marcin Skladaniec <mar...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: problem with ROP query performance
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 06:47:17 GMT
I will Jira it, just will try to be more specific and include some code
or maybe unit test.
Thanks
Marcin
PS: using cayenne 3.1m2

On 27/10/11 5:22 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Yeah sounds odd. It fetches paintings of that artist. Maybe we can jira that and take
a closer look?

> On a side note, I noticed that due to the weak references used in the DataContext to
store committed objects, you may see lots of faulting of objects that were fetched in the
same context just a few seconds ago. This is probably completely unrelated, and for that we
are experimenting with using soft references (instead of weak) via a new ObjectMapRetainStrategy
(available in 3.1M3).

> Andrus
>

> On Oct 21, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Marcin Skladaniec wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> There is a discrepancy in behaviour of performQuery between ROP and non-ROP setup.
>>
>> lets consider this simple code:
>>
>>         DataContext newContext = ...
>>
>>         Artist artist = newContext.newObject(Artist.class);
>>         newContext.commitChanges();
>>
>>         Painting painting = newContext.newObject(Painting.class);
>>         painting.setArtist(artist);
>>
>>         assertEquals(artist.getPersistenceState(), PersistenceState.MODIFIED); //
this is true

>>         SelectQuery sq = new SelectQuery(Painting.class, ExpressionFactory.matchExp(Painting.ARTIST_PROPERTY,
artist));

>>         newContext.performQuery(sq);
>>

>> I have added some logging to the performQuery() to check what happens. This is what
I see in ROP setup:

>> DEBUG - select query for Painting with qualifier: artist =<ObjectId:Artist, id=200>
>> DEBUG - RelationshipQuery:paintings for:<ObjectId:Artist, id=200>
>>
>> Seems straightforward, select query is executed... but then cayenne faults the Artist
object and its relationships. This would be ok, but the Artist object is already in the context,
no trip to the databse required!

>> Same code in non-ROP setup does not behave teh same - the RelatioshipQuery is not
executed (unless artist.getPaintings() is called explicitly).