cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Unique Index Constraints in Cayenne Modeler
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 02:11:17 GMT
On Mon Oct 10 20:32:13 2011, Durchholz, Joachim wrote:
> Just giving feedback from my user perspective:
>
>> CayenneModeler is not a DB admin tool, so DB concepts not directly related to ORM
are generally ignored.

> I find that reasonable.
>
>> UNIQUE indexes are somewhat on the border and I even believe we have a feature request
in Jira somewhere...

> This I cannot agree with, I do think unique indexes are solidly on the ORM side.
> The issue is relationships defined using unique keys. These tend to come from two sources:
> - Legacy databases that I need to interface with.
> - People with direct manual SQL access and a say on the data model. For them, having
a UK with well-chosen content can make the difference between needing a join or not, so they
do have a point.

> Regards,
> Jo

I agree that unique indices are important to the model, just like
validating that a varchar is no more than (say) 12 characters.
Personally I'd like to see all indices in the Cayenne model if only
because it means we have one place to store the entire db schema
definition, but I do understand why this should be kept separate to the
Cayenne runtime.

--
Aristedes Maniatis