cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joseph Senecal <sene...@apple.com>
Subject Re: Passing Blobs to stored procedure
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:41:55 GMT
Hi Andrus,

Currently the code is passing in a byte[], Cayenne is converting that into a MemoryBlob. I
have no problem with passing in a BLOB instead, but when I looked up how to create a BLOB
I got stuck. It requires a java.sql.Connection as a parameter, and I haven't been able to
find a way to return that from Cayenne. As far as I know, the connection might not be selected
for an ObjectContext until I perform the query.

I checked the original code, which calls JDBC directly. There it just calls setBytes on a
Statement passing in the byte[], using a separate connection just for the stored procedure.
That should still work as a workaround.

I'm going to see if I can get permission to move the stored procedure functionality to Java
since I think that will provide better performance. But will I run into the same problem using
Blobs as an oracle column in a record?

Joe Senecal

On Sep 4, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Oracle JDBC driver is messed up. Standard JDBC types are not working they way you'd expect
them, and then a bunch of custom types to deal with. This looks like one of the examples.

> We may need to investigate if we can better abstract this particular case in Cayenne,
but just a guess - what if you use oracle.sql.BLOB instead of org.apache.cayenne.util.MemoryBlob
to call the stored procedure? I hope that should fix it in the interim.

> Andrus
>

> On Sep 2, 2011, at 6:39 PM, Joseph Senecal wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to pass a Blob to a stored procedure. The parameter is defined in the
CayenneModeler as an IN parameter of type BLOB. I'm passing an array of bytes to ProcedureQuery.addParameter.
When the code runs it gets an cast exception "org.apache.cayenne.util.MemoryBlob cannot be
cast to oracle.sql.BLOB".