cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Type safe queries & more
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 00:31:23 GMT
Hello Hugi

Welcome to Cayenne. The work you have done is extremely welcome and has been discussed before:

   http://markmail.org/thread/nnnj2ezvpzamphdn

It just is that no-one has had the time to work on it. This syntax is also very similar to
the way Ruby Rails queries are constructed: very clean and easy to read.

I encourage you to do a couple of things to follow this through and see if we can get this
approach into Cayenne:

1. Take this over to the dev list (I'm copying that list in now)
2. Put your code somewhere. Jira is a very good option (no matter how basic the code is) because
you will agree to a license agreement releasing the code under the ASL which makes it possible
for us to include your code in Cayenne. You could also use something like gist (github.com)
to put code in a more visible place for now, but ultimately it will need to come back through
Jira.

Again, welcome. Getting type safety into object keys has always been a goal here.

Ari

On 16/09/11 4:29 AM, Hugi Thordarson wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Cayenne beginner here. I come from an EOF/WebObjects background, so when I started using
Cayenne (yesterday) I kinda missed the type safety and conciseness of using Mike Schrag's
ERXKeys when constructing qualifiers and Orderings.

> So me and another EOF guy (@atlipall) sat down today and recreated/reverse-engineered
some of Mike's work to be usable with Cayenne. We're sharing this early, hoping it might be
useful for someone else—and  since we're total beginners and don't know much about Cayenne
yet, comments are appreciated. (Perhaps we're even implementing pre-existing functionality;
we just don't know :).

> Anyway, by using the two attached classes and superclass template, you can write type
safe code such as:

> List<User>  users = User.fetch( dataContext, User.FIRSTNAME.like( "joe%" ).and(
User.AGE.between( 20, 30 ), User.FIRSTNAME.asc().then( User.LASTNAME.asc() ) );

> (this would fetch all users named "joe"-something, aged betweeen 20 and 30, and order
the list by first name, then last name.

--
Aristedes Maniatis