cayenne-user mailing list archives

From stéphane Lestoclet <stephane.lestoc...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re : Cayenne Transactions
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:16:24 GMT
>http://cayenne.apache.org/doc20/understanding-transactions.html

Thanks for the link. In fact, I already
read almost all the Cayenne documentation
http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/understanding-transactions.html (which I think more recent)

>I use Cayenne in a fairly straight
forward manner, and perform
>transactions explicitly in code
rather than using an AOP approach.
I understand that Cayenne works but do
you mean that it does not integrate with Spring ?
If so, why the Cayenne documentation
states the opposite ?
Do you also mean that Cayenne
Transactions don't work with J2EE servers ?

>With regard to Spring integration,
Cayenne does not actually need
OK. That's true. However, what if we
would like to take benefits from the two frameworks.

I think that if it comes to choose
between Spring and Cayenne, Spring will probably win because it's
really an integration framework and it's widely used in production.

>Spring to fill in the gaps like
HIbernate does.
Sorry, that is not true. We can also
use Hibernate without Spring. We can even use it with plain JSP and
servlets.

Cayenne framework is definitely a good
framework but I think if it's a little bit invasive :
	* persistent entities have to inherit from a cayenne object
	* transactions are made manually and doe not use the standard ones (javax.transaction)

Actually, I'm trying to play with
Cayenne in order to develop a Spring CayenneTransactionManager
That will allows the use of AOP and
thus to separate the persistent layer from the business one
and especially to hide the persistence
details.

Thanks