cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Pipes, David" <dpi...@AimNTLS.com>
Subject RE: Web Performance
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:37:32 GMT
PHP ORM Doctrine http://www.doctrine-project.org/

Here's a nice article on the subject http://onepixelahead.com/2010/03/04/php-vs-java-which-one-is-the-better-web-language/

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Baldwin [mailto:jfbaldwin@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:19 PM
To: user@cayenne.apache.org
Subject: Web Performance

This question has come up again, and I thought that I would try to research it but this appears
to be another "holy war".  I am looking for links to formal (or just professional) studies
done on PHP vs Java - based websites.  I am specifically trying to find out what the real
differences are when using an an advanced ORM (like Cayenne) with memory management and performance
optimization, vs well whatever the heck they use for PHP.

My personal bias, I have done some programming in PHP and it it appears to be pretty primitive
to me. My perception is that it is something for high school student because it is easy to
run for very simple tasks.  However, complex advanced CMS would appear to be difficult and
a performance challenge for PHP, but then there is drupal.

My research has lead me to "java totally sucks" or "php totally sucks" sorts of comments vs
a professional analysis.  (The conversations lead you to the feeling that you are eavesdropping
on some 17 years olds at a mall.)

Finally, I am not aware of any ORM libraries for PHP that would even come close to Cayenne.

Anyway, any link would be appreciated and any comments would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Joe