cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:37:05 GMT
I'm not really the best person to answer this since it's been so long
since I created either an EOF or Cayenne model, but....

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM, John Huss <johnthuss@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some specifics I'd like to know:
> 1) is cayenne single threaded like EOF?

No.   You can have as many commits going simultaneously as you like,
without worrying about locking.

> 2) does it have prototypes?

prototypes being the ability to create a "db type" alias -- ie,
defining a "Boolean" type which might be char[1] or boolean or BIT or
something underneath, so you only have to change the db type in one
place.  Or create a money type.  This allowed you to switch databases
easily .   Umm.  I can't remember if Cayenne supports this.  I know
you can pick what java type is mapped to a field.

> 3) are there DB specific plugins like EOF?

Yes, they are called Adaptors in Cayenne.   But it seems to me that
they are not needed as much -- the generic adaptor works most of the
time.   Maybe that's just because the jdbc interface and sql is more
standard now.  But if you need it, it's there.

> 4) can you use a custom template for your entities?

Yes.  Far easier.   I remember having to use a third party tool for
some generation things in EOModeler, although I can't remember what it
was called or exactly what it did.   EOGenerator?  EOReporter?
Cayenne uses a generic templating engine (Velocity) which can be
customized to do pretty much anything you might need.