cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:53:59 GMT
Hi John,

Cayenne's readProperty() and readNestedProperty() are similar to KVC.
Although there is a writeProperty(), I don't believe there is a
writeNestedProperty() yet (still on the to-do list).  In practice,
though, I rarely use these methods directly these days.  Cayenne's
Expression.fromString() (and others) supports relationship paths (so
you can say "x.y.z.name") and the web framework I use (Tapestry 5)
directly supports using "x.y.z.name" in their HTML templates.  I've
not had any issues following relationship paths through many objects.

mrg

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM, John Huss <johnthuss@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does cayenne have anything like key value coding?  When I glanced at the API I thought
I saw readProperty and writeProperty methods that looked similar.  Is that the case?  Is
there a way to follow a key path through several objects?

> On Aug 11, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Joseph Senecal <senecal@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> The big one is that WebObjects includes both an ORM and a web interface that understands
ORM objects. You can use WebObjects by itself to develop a Web App that talks to a database
where Cayenne is just the ORM layer. So comparing EOF (WebObjects ORM layer) to Cayenne, here's
what I've noticed so far:

>> EOF:
>> EOF uses it's own collection classes (because it started as Objective C). This sounds
like a bad thing, but having it's own collection classes allows it to do things like provide
a common interface to both NSDictionaries and Enterprise Objects.
>> Project Wonder: adds functionality and connivence methods
>> ERXKeys: A Project Wonder wrapper for a typed key that be used to fetch the value
from an Enterprise object, Map, or array. It can generate expression objects and sort order
objects with very clean compact code. This is the piece I'm going to miss most transitioning
from webObjects.