cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Web Performance
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:30:29 GMT
Hi Joe,

I don't have any good links for you and am not trying to start another
"holy war", but one of the things I really like about the Tapestry 5
web framework is it makes Java web development more interactive and
iterative like PHP, just with all the added goodness of Java (you can
use Eclipse, debuggers, etc) and Java frameworks (Cayenne, Apache
Commons, etc).  T5 does live class reloading of pages, components,
services, and mixins that it controls.  This is a great timesaver.  It
doesn't auto-reload Cayenne classes, though, but once your schema/etc
is pretty stable, you tend to spend most of your time in the web layer
and it speeds things up pretty nicely there.  Make a change in
Eclipse, save the file (Java or TML -- T5's HTML template), and reload
in your browser.  Repeat until working.

mrg

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
> This question has come up again, and I thought that I would try to research it but this
appears to be another "holy war".  I am looking for links to formal (or just professional)
studies done on PHP vs Java - based websites.  I am specifically trying to find out what
the real differences are when using an an advanced ORM (like Cayenne) with memory management
and performance optimization, vs well whatever the heck they use for PHP.

> My personal bias, I have done some programming in PHP and it it appears to be pretty
primitive to me. My perception is that it is something for high school student because it
is easy to run for very simple tasks.  However, complex advanced CMS would appear to be difficult
and a performance challenge for PHP, but then there is drupal.

> My research has lead me to "java totally sucks" or "php totally sucks" sorts of comments
vs a professional analysis.  (The conversations lead you to the feeling that you are eavesdropping
on some 17 years olds at a mall.)