cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 02:19:42 GMT
Hi Joe,

In the past I used Cayenne with a legacy database that had 96-bit
binary primary keys.  I had to create my own Cayenne DB adapter and PK
generator and specify using it in Cayenne Modeler.  It wasn't too hard
to do and worked perfectly with the existing system (which was
actually WO/EOF-based).  No conflicts since they both used the same
key source.

That's probably the direction you'll want to head ...

mrg

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Joseph Senecal <senecal@apple.com> wrote:
> Thanks to the help provided from this mailing list, my prototype was done on time and
shows that the concept can work.

> The next problem to solve is how to get a Cayenne program to peacefully coexist with
legacy WebObjects programs that will be inserting records into the same table. I can restrict
the conflict to one table, but that one table is central to all others and new records could
be created by any process that loads any of the related fact tables.

> The problem is that Cayenne and WebObjects use differently named sequences to allocate
primary keys. These sequences are also formatted differently because WebObjects allocates
primary keys one at a time where Cayenne allocates primary keys 20 at the time. The obvious
solution is to configure the sequences for different primary key ranges. The problem is that
these programs will be running at over a dozen different sites, which makes monitoring for
exhausting of an assigned range problematic. My boss would find a different solution, if one
is possible.

> I'm sure that combining multiple ORM's has happened before. Does anyone have advice as
to the best way to make them play nicely together?