cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:10:31 GMT
Of course. With AutoAdapter which is the default, this in theory is configuration-free.

In a real life you will need some extra effort to ensure that the schemas are identical across
DB's, your code doesn't rely on functionality absent from some DBs (e.g. the data size exceeds
column size limits on some of them, or numeric data types support the same precision). Things
like that....

Andrus

On Aug 12, 2011, at 6:02 PM, John Huss wrote:

> Is it possible to run against two different databases without having to manually change
the model?  So either switching at startup like with properties or at runtime?

>>> Yes, they are called Adaptors in Cayenne.   But it seems to me that
>>> they are not needed as much -- the generic adaptor works most of the
>>> time.   Maybe that's just because the jdbc interface and sql is more
>>> standard now.  But if you need it, it's there.
>>
>> Modern versions of Cayenne by default use something called AutoAdapter that detects
the DB type on startup and internally installs the right DB adapter. Actually there are more
than a few runtime cases where the adapter still matters. But yeah, the biggest area where
the adapter differences lie is DDL operations that is of no concern in runtime.