cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Tony Dahbura <dahb...@aopslab.com>
Subject Re: Webservice and Cayenne
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2011 16:25:53 GMT
Tony:
I tried a while back to get Cayenne returned objects to output xml using the Jersey REST services.
 They did not behave well because of the inheritance model _myobj and mybobj that Cayenne
uses.

There was a discussion on this on the group about alternative solutions but I never really
got it to work.  I did not understand enough of the topic to delve into fixing it.

Some of the team said they may be able to code a fix-I love Cayenne but the work I am doing
needs to serve web content and REST content...

Tony

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Giaccone" <tgiaccone@gmail.com>
To: user@cayenne.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:57:10 AM
Subject: Re: Webservice and Cayenne

Andrus,

I'm curious why you are using the tapestry IoC container. What purpose does it serve?

Tony Giaccone

Life is what you live today.

On Aug 24, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

> I am using Cayenne with Jersey frontend (http://jersey.java.net/ )  and a Tapestry 5
IoC container in between. Jersey is a JAX RS implementation and can serialize objects based
on standard JAXB annotations, generating either XML or JSON.

> While there's no direct JAXB bindings for Cayenne DataObjects, I'd use very simple annotated
DTO's converting between Cayenne and DTO in each Jersey resource class.

> What I find interesting is that the DTO conversion is not simply a workaround for the
lack of direct serialization. It actually allows to bridge the mismatch between the DB schema
and the desired end user format of the output.

> Like the above stack a lot - very simple and clean frontend code, ties nicely to fairly
abstract backend business logic, very little configuration.