cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 23:43:28 GMT
On 13/08/11 1:02 AM, John Huss wrote:
> Is it possible to run against two different databases without having to manually change
the model?  So either switching at startup like with properties or at runtime?

We do that in our shipping product without any effort at all. Our products allows the user
to choose Derby, MySQL or MS-SQL as the backend. There has been almost nothing we needed to
do in Cayenne to allow all that to happen. Really the only issues we have are around collation
types in the different database (ie. whether they are case sensitive or insensitive). Cayenne
performs queries like this "SELECT * from Artist where UPPER(name) = 'fred'". So Cayenne always
gives us the right answer, but not all databases support indexing on UPPER(field). So we need
to hack around this a little on different databases.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis