cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:43:16 GMT
On 12/08/11 2:53 AM, Joseph Senecal wrote:

> I'm sure I'm missing a lot of features, but these are the differences I can think off
of the top of my head.

I'll add a few more:

1. EOF has a very nice Eclipse modeler tool. Cayenne has one too, but it isn't quite as sexy.

2. Cayenne is open source with an Apache license. Although this is so obvious you probably
didn't mention it, the license is a huge difference. Cayenne is a tool where you can trace
right through the code to debug it. You can extend it easily (and Cayenne has plenty of places
where you can extend the existing functionality, and 3.1 introduces injection to make that
even easier in particular places). You can even contribute new functionality and see that
added to the project.

3. Cayenne doesn't buy into the whole key-value-coding thing. That's either good or bad depending
on your point of view.

4. ROP. This is one of Cayenne's great strengths. EOF had something similar I think, but it
wasn't well supported. With Cayenne's ROP (three-tier) you can implement very flexible client/server
systems and use Hessian to serialise the data between the client and the server.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis