cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:54:31 GMT
On Wed Aug 10 11:35:03 2011, Joe Baldwin wrote:

> The last time I worked on a WO project was in 1999.  At that time there was a Java library.
 However, it was a thin layer on top of Obj-C.  The Webobjects application server I believe
is (or was) a native app, that I think was Obj-C.  My info is old, but I think it would be
difficult to transfer all those Obj-C classes to java but maybe they did it.

They did. WO was completely ported to Java without any bits of
Objective C left in there. However it was a long time before they
adopted many Java conventions like Collections, so it still retained
vestigaes of the Objective C way of doing things for many years.

When Apple dropped the Java-Cocoa bridge some years ago, the entire
developer toolset was also dropped. And the community picked up those
tools and rewrote them in pure Java (as Eclipse plugins). I think that
was the last of the Objective-C purged from the WO community.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis