cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Dzmitry Kazimirchyk <dkazimirc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuring listener for all db Classes
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:03:45 GMT
Hi Joe,

Behaviour that you've described seems little bit strange to me. Trying
to reproduce it I've written following:

ObjEntity in my map.xml:

<obj-entity name="Artist" className="org.test.cayenne.persistent.Artist"
dbEntityName="Artist">
<obj-attribute name="name" type="java.lang.String"
db-attribute-path="NAME"/>
<entity-listener class="org.test.cayenne.listen.TestListener">
<pre-persist method-name="onPrePersist"/>
<pre-update method-name="onPreUpdate"/>
</entity-listener>
</obj-entity>

Also I registered same listener for DataMap.

<entity-listener class="org.test.cayenne.listen.TestListener">
<pre-persist method-name="onPrePersist"/>
<pre-update method-name="onPreUpdate"/>
</entity-listener>

The listener class itself:

public class TestListener {

     void onPrePersist (Object object) {
         System.out.println("pre-persist");
     }

     void onPreUpdate (Object object) {
         System.out.println("pre-update");
     }
}

Place where events are actually triggered:

         ServerRuntime cayenneRuntime = new
ServerRuntime("cayenne-testDomain.xml");

         ObjectContext context = cayenneRuntime.getContext();

         // testing persist events
         Artist a = context.newObject(Artist.class);
         context.commitChanges();

         //testing update events
         a.setName("name");
         context.commitChanges();

Both pre-persist and pre-update events were triggered correctly calling
corresponding listener methods. I've tried this also for other events
but got the same result.
Am I missing something important in your particular case?

On 08/03/2011 11:04 PM, Joseph Senecal wrote:
> Perhaps I'm just missing something simple. I've tried using individual listener configurations,
and they don't work either.

> Here is a sample entry:
> 		<entity-listener class="com.apple.mqm.db.PDCAListener">
> 			<pre-persist method-name="onPrePersist"/>
> 			<pre-update method-name="onPreUpdate"/>
> 		</entity-listener>
>

> And here is my listener class:
> package com.apple.mqm.db;
>
> import java.util.Date;
>
> import org.apache.cayenne.CayenneDataObject;
>
> public class PDCAListener {
>
> 	void onPrePersist (Object object) {
> 		CayenneDataObject dataObject = (CayenneDataObject) object;
> 		if (dataObject.readProperty(Product.CREATION_DATE_PROPERTY) == null) {
> 			dataObject.writeProperty(Product.CREATION_DATE_PROPERTY, new Date());
> 		}
> 		if (dataObject.readProperty(Product.LAST_MOD_DATE_PROPERTY) == null) {
> 			dataObject.writeProperty(Product.LAST_MOD_DATE_PROPERTY, new Date());
> 		}
> 		dataObject.writeProperty(Product.MOD_COUNT_PROPERTY, 1);
> 	}
>
> 	void onPreUpdate (Object object) {
> 		CayenneDataObject dataObject = (CayenneDataObject) object;
> 		dataObject.writeProperty(Product.LAST_MOD_DATE_PROPERTY, new Date());
> 		dataObject.writeProperty(Product.MOD_COUNT_PROPERTY, ((Integer)dataObject.readProperty(Product.LAST_MOD_DATE_PROPERTY))+1);
> 	}
> }
>

> I don't have any code to activate the listeners. When testing I'm getting a validation
error that for a field that this listener sets onPrePersist. And I never reach a breakpoint
in the listener code.

> Joe
>

> On Aug 3, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>
>> Ok, we'll need to re-test this case, and implement the missing registration API.
>>
>> On Aug 3, 2011, at 9:09 PM, Joseph Senecal wrote:
>>> Andrus,
>>>
>>> Yes, I was using a per DataMap listener.
>>>
>>> I'll try using individual class listeners for the prototype and see how that
works.

>>> These listeners are really part of the basic operation of the DB interface, so
they are common to all programs using the database. Currently I'm considering having the template
generate the listener methods in each class, along with code that will install the listener
for that class the first time the class is referenced (probably using a static initializer).
This will allow the listener methods to be customized for each class instead of having to
check the model. Annotations will help there.

>>> Joe

of events for all objects. This is to update modCounts and lastModTimes just before the commit.

doesn't explain how. I found how to specify a class and methods, but it doesn't seem to be
getting called.
my map.xml files (created by the Modeler) :

DataMap? (I personally haven't used "global" listeners, but those should work too). Could
you confirm - we'll re-test this case then.

me to have different listeners for the same shared entities in different Java projects. So
my preferred method is the latest 3.1M2 API based on annotations:

me - we need to support this flavor in per-DataMap case).