cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:39:07 GMT
It definitely is.

And it goes a bit deeper than just locking. WO/EOF has singletons all over. Cayenne stack
in addition to being inherently multi-threaded, is also singleton-free, so you can create
multiple stacks with different parameters, start/stop them within an application, etc. This
ties nicely into dependency injection concepts (Cayenne 3.1 has a small built in DI container),
providing very flexible dynamic configuration.

I raised the question on the WO list some time back about what would it take to clean up singletons
and integrate DI in WO/EOF. I was getting some blank stares. Folks are used to doing things
in a very specific way and there is lots of inertia against changing that.

Andrus

On Aug 13, 2011, at 1:48 AM, John Huss wrote:

> That's a big advantage with cayenne then in the world of many many cores.

>>> Most things happen in the "active" thread, but cayenne dispatches object update
notifications to peer contexts in a separate thread.  But the actual commit, object modifications,
etc. all happen in the same thread as the rest of your code, so.  I'm not/wasn't an EOF user,
so I don't know if that's similar to EOF.

>> EOF had (has?) a shared lock that severely limited a throughput of a single EOF stack.
Cayenne is completely free of this issue.