cayenne-user mailing list archives

From John Huss <johnth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:22:03 GMT
Some specifics I'd like to know:
1) is cayenne single threaded like EOF?
2) does it have prototypes?
3) are there DB specific plugins like EOF?
4) can you use a custom template for your entities?

Thanks,
John

On Aug 11, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Joseph Senecal <senecal@apple.com> wrote:

> The big one is that WebObjects includes both an ORM and a web interface that understands
ORM objects. You can use WebObjects by itself to develop a Web App that talks to a database
where Cayenne is just the ORM layer. So comparing EOF (WebObjects ORM layer) to Cayenne, here's
what I've noticed so far:

> EOF:
> EOF uses it's own collection classes (because it started as Objective C). This sounds
like a bad thing, but having it's own collection classes allows it to do things like provide
a common interface to both NSDictionaries and Enterprise Objects.
> Project Wonder: adds functionality and connivence methods
> ERXKeys: A Project Wonder wrapper for a typed key that be used to fetch the value from
an Enterprise object, Map, or array. It can generate expression objects and sort order objects
with very clean compact code. This is the piece I'm going to miss most transitioning from
webObjects.