cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Web Performance
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:32:27 GMT
I don't have much to add to the discussion. But reading about the Facebook argument reminded
me of an architectural presentation that I watched online a couple of years ago:

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Facebook-Software-Stack

It is actually pretty interesting in general if you are in business of developing large websites
in any language. On the topic of PHP the guy openly says things like "PHP doesn't scale for
large codebases", "PHP is not a very fast language", etc. Remember, this is all coming from
a senior Facebook engineer. Still obviously it works for Facebook. So throwing more hardware
and using various clever caching and partitioning techniques can do wonders :-)

Andrus

On Aug 18, 2011, at 7:18 PM, Joe Baldwin wrote:

> This question has come up again, and I thought that I would try to research it but this
appears to be another "holy war".  I am looking for links to formal (or just professional)
studies done on PHP vs Java - based websites.  I am specifically trying to find out what the
real differences are when using an an advanced ORM (like Cayenne) with memory management and
performance optimization, vs well whatever the heck they use for PHP.

> My personal bias, I have done some programming in PHP and it it appears to be pretty
primitive to me. My perception is that it is something for high school student because it
is easy to run for very simple tasks.  However, complex advanced CMS would appear to be difficult
and a performance challenge for PHP, but then there is drupal.

> My research has lead me to "java totally sucks" or "php totally sucks" sorts of comments
vs a professional analysis.  (The conversations lead you to the feeling that you are eavesdropping
on some 17 years olds at a mall.)