cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Coexisting with WebObjects
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 06:26:24 GMT

On Aug 11, 2011, at 9:37 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

>> 3) are there DB specific plugins like EOF?
>
> Yes, they are called Adaptors in Cayenne.   But it seems to me that
> they are not needed as much -- the generic adaptor works most of the
> time.   Maybe that's just because the jdbc interface and sql is more
> standard now.  But if you need it, it's there.

Modern versions of Cayenne by default use something called AutoAdapter that detects the DB
type on startup and internally installs the right DB adapter. Actually there are more than
a few runtime cases where the adapter still matters. But yeah, the biggest area where the
adapter differences lie is DDL operations that is of no concern in runtime.

Andrus