cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: EJBQL parser
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:10:33 GMT
For what it's worth, functions in order by is now supported by the JPA
reference implementation, as of 14 months ago.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Sutherland <JAMES.SUTHERLAND@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM
Subject: [eclipselink-dev] SVN commit trunk: bug#219814 JPQL enhancements
To: "Eclipselink-Dev@Eclipse. Org (E-mail)" <eclipselink-dev@eclipse.org>

SVN commit trunk: bug#219814 JPQL enhancements

Fixed several of the issues related to unnecessary restrictions put on
our JPQL support,

Code review: Andrei

Changes:

- Allowed expression inheritance view tests to run on all platforms,
as it supported now and should work.

- Updated JPQL grammar to remove restrictions,

  - functions and math operators in select and inside functions,
aggregate functions, and constructors (select UPPER(e.firstName) from
Employee e)

  - select without reference to alias (select 1 from Employee e)

  - functions in order by, booleans in order by (select e from
Employee e order by UPPER(e.lastName))

  - functions in group by, having (select e, COUNT(p) FROM Employee e
JOIN e.projects p group by e having COUNT(p) >= 2)

  - functions in like, between, in (select e from Employee e where
UPPER(e.firstName) like UPPER('b%'))

  - raise syntax error when invalid characters are used (select e from
Employee e where !(e.id = 12345))

- JPQL tests for new syntax

- Changed like to be a function instead of relation expression, allows
avoiding conversion of type to local base

- Some micro

- Allow JPQL ordering by booleans or any basic type

- Auto convert to string in in-memory like conforming

- Convert JPQL select variables to lower case in index (as all other variables)

- Allow usage of alias without reference

- Change constructor queries to find any constructor taking compatible
types (instead of exact types)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> Sigh... I feel like we should've used common sense and built our own QL based on EJBQL/JPQL
instead of blindly following the JPA spec. Which among other things says "The Java Persistence
query language includes [...] built-in functions, which may be used in the WHERE or HAVING
clause of a query." So no ORDER BY in this list :-/

>>  I searched the code but those 10k lines are quite a challenge.
>
> You betcha.
>
> We should prolly add it. Hope most DB's support it.
>
> Andrus
>
> On Jul 11, 2011, at 5:36 PM, Marek Šabo wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was trying to push a query through parser today and it didn't make it.
>>
>> "SELECT stt FROM SubTaskType stt ORDER BY ABS(stt.code) ASC"
>>
>> Exception is below, my question being whether it is correct behaviour or a bug. I
know mysql allows such syntax and oracle too (it allows numeric sorting of strings). I searched