cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Syntax error and question about JOIN
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 08:36:29 GMT
On 21/06/11 6:02 PM, Wernke zur Borg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a few problems with queries on an MS Access database when I
> use object relationships to access related tables. I am using Cayenne
> 3.1 M2.
>
> My case is very simple. Let's say I have two tables A and B where A has
> a column col containing a primary key of B. Given an object a from table
> A with colValue, I want to access the related record of B using a.getB().
>
> Cayenne creates a select query that joins A and B like this:
>
> SELECT DISTINCT t0.columns... FROM B t0 *JOIN* A t1 ON (t0.pk = t1.col)
> WHERE t1.pk = ? [bind: 1->  a.pkValue]
>
> The first thing is that this produces a syntax error as the simple *JOIN
> *keyword is not valid in MS Access. They want an explicit *INNER JOIN*.

I've never heard of anyone using MS Access before as an SQL engine, so this might be one reason
why. I would run, not walk, to another db if you can at all manage that within your environment.

> But secondly I wonder why Cayenne needs a JOIN in this case anyway,
> since it is of no use at all. Why does it not use something like:
>
> SELECT t0.columns... FROM B t0 WHERE t0.pk = ? [bind 1->  a.colValue]

I guess since any SQL engine will optimise that out, the fact that Cayenne does it in the
most generic way usually doesn't matter. I haven't seen the code in question specifically,
but Cayenne performs JOINs very often and has a bunch of code which knows how to do that (multiple
keys, qualifiers, inheritance, etc) and that code is just being reused here.

> My workaround is to manually create a SELECT query to access B without
> joining it A:
>
> Expression e = ExpressionFactory.matchExp(B.primaryKeyProperty, A.colValue);
> SelectQuery q = new SelectQuery(B.class, e);
>
> This works but of course it would be nicer to use the getter function
> A.getB().
>
> Is there a possibility to either avoid the JOIN or tell Cayenne to use
> INNER JOIN instead of JOIN ?

Yes, you can write specific db adapters for databases of your choice. You'll need to get your
hands into Cayenne itself, but the classes in question aren't too hard to understand. Let
us know if you need more pointers to do that. I am guessing that none of the development team
will be easily able to test against Access, and we don't currently run any unit tests against
Access. But if you can help make it work, then so much the better.

Cheers
Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis